- About ACWS
- Leading Change
- ACWS Training
- Shelter Login
THE MISSION OF SONSHINE COMMUNITY SERVICES:
“Motivated by our Christian faith, our mission is to help women and children transform their lives.” We envision a community where women and children live safely in healthy families. The organization offers a comprehensive benefits package and supports training courses to enhance career development.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
This is a full-time position (35 hour/week), reporting to the Director of Residential & Community Services. The Residential Counselor’s position is to implement the programs at Sonshine Centre, including provision of counseling and support to the women at Sonshine Centre. The Residential Counselor will provide follow-up with clients exiting the residential component of the program. This position requires an individual with strong counseling, interpersonal skills, initiative and personal management skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties and Responsibilities include:
• Provide regular weekly counseling to clients in Sonshine Centre.
• Provide crisis and supportive counseling to clients.
• Provide referral and advocacy on behalf of clients as needed.
• Develop, implement, monitor and evaluate a case plan with clients.
• Participate in regular team meetings and case conferencing.
• Network and coordinate case plan with other professionals within and outside of agency as appropriate.
• Advise Residential staff of potential risks to client, staff or volunteer safety.
• Be available for initial contact with emergency services called to Sonshine Centre.
• Make referrals as required to provide support to residential clients between counseling appointments.
• Assessing client needs and making recommendations to Centre staff team.
• Respond to all calls, crisis, and inquiries and make referrals as required.
• Work closely with Family Support Worker, Intensive Case Manager, Child and Youth Counsellor, as well as Parent Child Educator to provide the necessary support for clients.
• Attend regular supervision meetings with Director of Residential and Community Services
• Maintain client files.
• Compile statistical information on clientele.
• Entering relevant data in Outcome Tracker Program.
Qualifications and Skills:
• Master of Social Work, Bachelor of Social Work, Master of Counselling, Bachelor of Counselling
• 2-3 years’ experience in counseling (preferable in the field of domestic violence)
• Knowledge and skills in crisis management and supportive counseling
• Knowledge and skills in implementing trauma informed programming
• Experience working with domestic violence and trauma
• Experience in facilitating groups
• CPR and 1st Aid
• Suicide prevention training
• Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESUME AND COVER LETTER NO LATER THAN JANUARY 18, 2019 TO:
Principal Director, Programs and Operations
Sonshine Community Services
Box 34067, RPO Westbrook
Calgary, AB T3C 3W2
Fax: (403) 287-2194
Sonshine Community Services is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to accept telephone inquiries.
Calgary and Area
Friday, January 18, 2019