Employment Opportunity for Client Advocate
Who Are We?
The Jessica Martel Memorial Foundation is a not-for-profit that operates Jessie’s House, a 35-bed stage one emergency shelter for survivors of domestic violence located in Morinville, AB (20 KM north of St. Albert). Jessie’s House is medium-high barrier and follows trauma-informed practices while serving Sturgeon County including CFB Edmonton, St. Albert, Alexander First Nation, and surrounding communities lacking shelter services. Visit www.jmmf.ca to learn more about who we are and what we do.
Employment Type: Casual Position
Work Hours: 12 hour shifts
Application Deadline: September 15, 2020
Start Date: Immediately
The Client Advocate reports directly to the Shelter Director and works closely with other Client Advocates, Counselors, Child Support Workers, and Outreach Workers. Client Advocates are clients’ first point of contact. They are the people that answer their call when they need help, they are the people that answer the doors with a friendly smile and often, they are the ones with whom clients share stories they haven’t told their closest friend. The Client Advocate must understand all principles of trauma informed practices and work to embed these principals into our shelter culture.
-Follow the policies and procedures of Jessie’s House and the principals of trauma-informed care.
-Complete crisis call assessment for client intake.
-Admit client(s) to the shelter and determine immediate physical and medical needs.
-Review expectations of the shelter program, policies and procedures and orient client and their
family to facility ensuring fire exits and procedure are noted.
-Complete all required shelter forms for intakes and discharges, document relevant incidents and
observations in individual client files each shift.
-Provide lay counseling, support, information, referrals and crisis intervention both face-to-face
(in shelter facility) and on the telephone.
-Advise clients of available options and provide information regarding appropriate community
agencies and resources.
-Supervise activities within shelter facility.
-Attend staff meetings and in-service programs as scheduled.
-Assist clients and participate in housekeeping duties such as cooking, cleaning, laundry and
general facility upkeep as needed.
-Communicate need for groceries and facility supplies to Facility Workers.
-Assist in orientation of staff and volunteers, including the special needs of children exposed to
-Perform other related duties as required
– Diploma in Social Work or combination of related education and experience.
– One-year experience working in a shelter environment is preferred.
– Knowledge of family violence and skills in crisis intervention.
– Training and demonstrated experience with Trauma-Informed practices.
– The ability to deal with other agencies and services in an effective and professional manner.
– Working knowledge of the Child Welfare Act.
– Lay knowledge of family law and legal issues.
– Understanding of cultural differences and the role culture plays in domestic violence.
– Must present a professional image and model core universal values, positive attributes and
– Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
– Must possess the ability to relate to clients in a non-judgmental manner and maintain
confidentiality at all times
– Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
– Valid applicable First Aid Certificate and ASIST
– Documented proof of a clear Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check.
– Working primarily in an emergency shelter environment in the town of Morinville.
– Working 12 hour shifts on 2 rotating shifts; weekends shifts included.
– Working in a high stress, high pressure environment.
How to Apply?
Send a current resume and cover letter, quoting the position title in the subject line to
email@example.com. Include 2 professional references and 1 personal reference.