- About ACWS
- Our Events
- Contact Us
Hide This Page button - What is this?
If you click on this button it will immediately take you away from the ACWS site to Weather Networks website. If you are using a computer in a public place, or somewhere that someone might see what website you are visiting, you can use this button to hide what you are doing quickly.
Keeping Yourself Safe While Getting the Information You Need
Keeping yourself and your children safe while getting the information you will need to make a smooth transition to a violence free life is essential. When an abusive partner discovers that the victim is obtaining resources, learning that domestic violence is wrong, threatening to leave or planning a getaway, the abuse can and most often does increase. Please follow these basic guidelines listed here.
- DO NOT save this address as a bookmark on your browser (the software that allows you to access the internet). Write the address down and hide it where you know your partner will not find it. You may want to write this address in such a way that your partner will not know what it is. You can also memorize the address.
- Locate and clear web browser histories on your hard drive. The information in these files is created when visiting web sites. Delete the information in these files. Most often the contents of these files are only computer jargon, but there is a possibility that the web sites you have visited can be traced from these files. Every browser will create and store this information differently.
Clearing web browser histories in this way will delete ALL histories of visited websites. If you are concerned that someone may be checking up on your Internet usage, the absence of all files and history may appear suspicious.
PC Windows - Internet Explorer
- Select the Tools in the menu bar. Open the Internet Options Dialog Box and select the General Tab.
- In the Temporary Internet Files, click Delete Files. Check the "Delete all offline content" and click OK.
- In the History, click Clear History.
- Click OK to exit the Internet Options Dialog Box.
PC Windows - Netscape
- Select the Edit in the menu bar, then select the Preference.
- Under the Category, select Navigator. Then click Clear History.
- Under the Category, select Cache under Advanced. First click the Clear Memory Cache followed by the Clear Disk Cache.
- Click "Tools" - "Options".
- With the "Options" dialog box appears, click "Privacy".
- Click the "History" tab.
- Click "Clear Browsing History Now".
- Press "OK" to close the dialog box.
(right click the mouse on the Start at the bottom of the menu bar, select Explore)
- Select Windows in the C drive.
- Open the Temporary Internet Files Folders. Select all the files inside this folder and delete.
- Open the History folder (e.g. c:\windows\history\today in Win 98), select all the files inside this folder and delete.
- Open the Cookies folder (e.g. c:\windows\cookies in Win 98), select all the files inside this folder and delete.
- Disable the AutoComplete in the windows and/or browser options.
- Finally, after completed the above deletions, you should also empty the recycle bin.